I’ve always used new releases of Windows software, and always tried to get them early. I was pleased with my Lenovo Yoga 13, and Windows 8. I resisted the urge to upgrade it to Windows 8.1 Preview; instead I upgraded my (older) HP EliteBook. It was good, but I still held off doing it on my Yoga. I think it was all the news about how the preview couldn’t necessarily be upgraded again to the full 8.1 release.
When 8.1 Preview was released Microsoft said that no-one would get 8.1 RTM ahead of time (save for equipment manufacturers). That was a shame as MSDN and Technet subscribers usually get things ahead of time, and that’s how I get my early releases too. During September 2013 Microsoft back pedalled a little and made 8.1 available to MSDN and Technet subscribers.
I spent several hours downloading the 3.5 GB ISO of 8.1 Enterprise from MSDN. I quickly discovered that actually I could only ‘keep nothing’ or ‘keep personal files’, it would wipe all my apps. Several people suggested that *perhaps* I had the UK English rather than US English version of Windows 8 installed, and that they had to match. So I downloaded another 3.5 GB ISO… same issue. Other people suggested that actually the 8.1 Enterprise was still a work in progress and upgrades wouldn’t be possible until General Availability (17th October 2013). So after a big sigh, I waited.
And I waited.
And yesterday I downloaded the UK English version. Another 3.5 GB, only to be presented with the same problem.
I posted on the MSDN Forums, and got a response pretty quickly. The ‘answer’ would appear to be that I need the general US English version. 3.5 GB more downloaded, and I applied the update.
It took maybe 20 minutes altogether (this beast has a nice SSD in it), and there appeared to be no hiccups, until I noticed that whilst the start screen looked nice and crisp, but the desktop apps look big, and clunky … like big Lego blocks!
Turns out two things fixed it for me on my Yoga :
a/ Completely uninstalled the Lenovo video driver (and rebooted a few times). Haven’t yet ventured into reinstalling that, because I think the real cure is:
b/ Change the ‘zoom’ level
It seems that the default has changed – maybe because of this being a tablet – the default zoom was set to medium, 125%. Hence things looking ‘clunky’.
After that, all is well 🙂 And you only have to sign out and back in again for the zoom level to take effect.