• Facebook
  • RSS Feed
  • Instagram
  • LinkedIn
  • Twitter
May 062012
 

Following the move that I made from a WordPress.com site to a self-host WordPress.org-style site, and the seven steps I wrote here, I’ve discovered three other anomalies.  I’ll describe them in this post, as they actually turned out to be quite important!

Images on Existing Posts point back to old site

This is one that I discovered by accident, hovering over an image on one of the posts that I wrote a few weeks ago (oddly enough it was about the temporarily broken Symantec Connect Forums!)

MoveToSelfHost-Before

In the screenshot above, is another example, where the images in the post point back to the old site.

I found a few other people who had encountered similar issues, and they’d written about how to change all of the posts en-masse.  I thought I’d give it a go, and my information is based mainly on this post.

First of all I checked on a particular post what things looked like:

SELECT *
FROM  `truewp_posts`
WHERE  `post_title` LIKE  ‘BSDeleteButton’
LIMIT 0 , 30

And then updated *just* that post:

update `truewp_posts` set `post_content` = replace(`post_content`, ‘robwilc.files.wordpress.com/’,’thingsilearnedtoday.net/wp-content/uploads/’) WHERE `post_title` LIKE ‘BSDeleteButton’

After making the change, I checked in a browser that it appeared to be correct, and it was.

I then had a look at how many other posts were affected:

select count(*) from `truewp_posts` where `post_content` like ‘%robwilc.files.wordpress.com/%’
count(*)
228

Gulp!  That’s a lot of posts.. but hey ho, give it a try! And I updated them all in one go.

Now the posts look like this:

MoveToSelfHost-After

The MySQL interface for me looks like this, in case anyone wants to know:

mysql

Permalinks were just *wrong*

I noticed that in my Google search results the pages that were indexed were things like http://robwilc.wordpress.com/date/post-name

But, the new site was doing things like http://thingsilearnedtoday.net/?p=nnn

Not good, because all the search links are then broken!

It’s quite easily fixed by changing the following under Settings –> Permalinks:

image

Instantly they all change, and that’s good – no more database magic!

Widgets

The final thing that I’ve been doing is picking some widgets, especially for sharing.  The main ones I’ve gone for are :-

JetPack

Socialize

Both are definite recommendations (from me)

If you enjoyed this post, please consider leaving a comment or subscribing to the RSS feed to have future articles delivered to your feed reader.

 Leave a Reply

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>

(required)

(required)